Blog # 4 Learning to Learn

     In chapter 3, the author talks about how professors shouldn't be focused on traditional professional development and instead be more invested in becoming an actual connected learner. The formal way of learning has changed and to be a great learner, you have to get out of the classroom and into a connected environment where you can teach and learn things from your own experiences. 

A key point in this chapter was the concept of unlearning and relearning. There are new ideas and new facts being discovered every day, and the only way to form your own sense of knowledge is to forget old ideas you know and form an even greater idea. As well as this, another point was to seek opportunities and gain experience where you can connect and learn from real-world experiences. Being able to actually learn something on your own rather than be taught, will you give you long-term knowledge that will actually stay with you.

This connects to my future career in event planning directly. To become an event planner you are obviously taught how to manage multiple things at once, but you aren't actually taught how to run events in your own way. The only way I will be able to gain knowledge on what to do, and what not to do, is through experiences. I also will have to keep up with trends and relate my already gained knowledge, to particular things my customers may want or need at their events that I may not have heard of. Events are personal and unique and the only way to learn new things and create bigger ideas, is through connective learning and experiences. 




Comments

  1. I agree with your point about learning through real world experiences instead of just in the classroom. I’ve noticed that I remember things way better when I actually do them, so I think this idea is really important to implement into the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you mentioned about new facts being discovered and creating your own even greater idea is so true. That goes along with learning and unlearning and how things constantly change and we must be constantly adapting to new learning processes. Also, I agree that learning something on your own sticks with you more than just being taught because I feel like you are really putting effort out there to learn something for yourself making it harder to forget.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

app smack down

Technology Blog #1 - Developing A Connected Learning Model