Technology Blog #1 - Developing A Connected Learning Model
In chapter 2, we learned about different styles/ways educators use tools to connect/educate people by using technology/web tools. We also learned about different ways of connectivism and networking that provides a broader way of learning.
Something that connected with me because of my career path, is on page 10 when the author says, “Trust, empathy, and reciprocity, are the glue for relationships that bond members together in any community, or social setting, but even more so online, where they enable the flow of knowledge and content. Developing relationships in the community takes time and cannot be rushed.”
My career path is Hospitality & Tourism. I want to be an event planner for things such as weddings, festivals, and concerts. With this career path, I feel as though connecting with others especially online, is key to my career flourishing. I have to be able to connect with others to plan accordingly, introduce new ideas, and making others want to come to my events.
Marketing is another key factor in my career. I want to provide hospitality for people who want to enjoy themselves and experience a diverse, excited, environment, and with that comes advertising online. I have to enable web tools and technology appropriately so that people will be encouraged to consume my events.
I believe that educators using technology to help students learn is super important. Technology is something that everyone, today, has to be familiar with to connect with others. We as students have to get familiar and comfortable with our digital profile as well, to ensure a successful career down the line!


I really liked the quote you included about trust and empathy, because that’s so important when building connections online. Your connection to hospitality and event planning makes a lot of sense, especially with networking and marketing being such a big part of the job. I also agree that being comfortable with technology and our digital profiles is important for future career success.
ReplyDeleteAs someone that is also in the HTMS program I could not agree more! You cannot build relationships in the industry (both in networking and with clients) without trust, empathy and reciprocity.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the importance of connections however from a personal stance, I have never made a personal connection like described in the chapter online. I’ve connected and collaborated with people through these types of communities, but not to the extent I would in person. A coworker of mine owns a youth sports business. She goes around to schools and starts programs for little kids. She recently started working a customer service position because she misses the personal, real life connection she gets from people, rather than taking appointments, scheduling, and consulting with people online for her business. This is an example of what I mean. I believe it’s important to connect online but connecting with people entirely online can be less fulfilling.
ReplyDeleteI agree that connectivity is important in your career path. The quote from the author that you included is very important to understand how necessary empathy and trust are when making connections. Without those things (and reciprocity), connections cannot be as strong, if any connections can be made at all. I do feel like learning technology is a need to succeed in certain things nowadays due to its impact and our reliance on it.
ReplyDeleteI really like the way you connected to you career path when it comes to connecting with others and planning/ introducing new ideas. Especially in Event planning.
ReplyDelete